Mocz zasadowy, zwykle zawierający bufor wodorowęglanowy wydalany jest, gdy w organizmie występuje nadmiar substancji alkalizujących.
Recently, we were talking with a friend about her problem of alkaline urine and swollen legs. The symptoms, of course, indicate poor kidney function, but after doing the research, it turned out that the ionogram is alright, the usg is fine and there are no bacteria in the urine. As usual, it turned out to be a more complex topic than it seems to be …
What can the urine with a higher pH mean in this case?
The alkaline urine, usually containing bicarbonate buffer, is excreted when there is an excess of alkalizing substances in the body.
First, the urine with increased ph is traditionally associated with urinary tract infections. Most bacteria responsible for urinary tract infections make urine more alkaline because bacteria separate urea into ammonia and other alkaline waste products. Common bacteria that infect the urinary tract include Klebsiella, Proteus, Enterococcus Pseudomonas and the very popular Escherichia coli. (Here are some tips on cystitis)
In the absence of infection, clinical results may suggest other diagnoses:
– metabolic alkalosis (alkalosis) – a serious disturbance of acid-base balance, which you will read about here
– tuberculosis of the kidney, chronic renal failure. The formation of kidney stones is associated with urine pH. Calcium phosphate, calcium carbonate and magnesium phosphate are developed in alkaline urine; when this happens, the urine is sour. Uric acid, cystine and oxalate calcium stones precipitate in acid urine; in this situation urine should be alkaline or less acidic than normal.
– ingestion of certain substances, e.g. salicylate, sodium bicarbonate, acetazolamide, etc.
– respiratory alkalosis (hyperventilation) – excessive exhalation of carbon dioxide leads to alkalosis – I refer to the article
– digestive disorders
– veganism: a diet rich in citrus fruits, legumes and vegetables raises the pH and produces more alkaline urine
– it can also be a symptom of excessive potassium in the blood
IMPORTANT! Do not underestimate the alkaline urine, an indicator that should prompt you to reflect on the state of your excretory system. The sooner you start to work the greater the likelihood of a faster recovery, neglect can end in serious complications.